Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Module 8 Managing your flow of Information on the Internet


What is an RSS Feed?

A format for delivering regularly changing web content. You ensure your privacy by not needing to join the website email newsletter.
The youtube hs explained to me that there are two ways to keep up with what is happening on the Web. The old way of of visiting my favourite sites e.g. favourite blogs and favourite news sites, checking to see if there is anything new and then wasting time when there is nothing there. The new way is far more efficient as it brings the new information to me rather than me going to look for it. First I need a home for all this news.I can achieve this by signing up to a Google Reader which is free. - www.google.com/reader - Second I need a connection from the reader to my favourite websites. I can subscribe by locating the orange button on my favourite sites and copying the URL to link the reader. Easy!!!!!

Setting up an RSS Feed on Google reader
I decided to use my new found expertise with google reader and link to as many Christmas recipe sites as I could happily navigate to. Never too soon to get organised for the festive season. Looking forward to using this application for classroom purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment